Wednesday, July 31, 2013

The Body Challenge

Recently, some folks in my gym recruited me onto their team for a 90-day body challenge competition. It started simply. One person caught me leaving the gym and said, “Hey, you should try this with us.”

The challenge is one of those events where the team that loses the most pounds or most inches or largest percentage of bodyfat wins.

Now let’s be honest…I’ve got about as challenging a body as you can get. Throw a red sportcoat on me and stand me on a corner and a firetruck is likely to try and attach a hose to me.

Weigh-in is Saturday so I’m eating like a starving convict. Weight quickly gained can be quickly lost so I’m taking advantage of gluttony as long as I can.

I’ve been in and out of gyms for over 40 years and this is the first competition like this I’ve ever been involved in. I don’t see me going on a strictly chicken breast and water diet for the next 3 months but I’ve got a feeling the beer/ice cream/baklava binge I’ve been on this summer is coming to an end. I might not help the team but I don’t want to hurt it.

Sometimes you need an experience that shakes up your life and points you to a goal.


Sometimes the shake-up starts with a simple invitation.

No comments:

Post a Comment