Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Sand in My....Everything

Yesterday I stopped by my college fraternity to have lunch. I'm on the board of directors of the housing corporation responsible for the maintenance of the fraternity house so it's a good thing to drop in unannounced every now and then just to see how things are going.

As I approached the back yard I noticed a pile of sand with some tiki lamps stuck in it. I thought, "Sweet! They must have had a party with a beach theme!"

When I walked around the house's corner to enter the back door to the kitchen I saw a bigger pile of sand at the end of the parking lot. I'm thinkin', "Must have been a big party."

Surf's up!

Little did I know.

When I walked in the kitchen i asked the chef, a good friend and fraternity brother, about the sand. He got one of those, "You're not going to believe this," looks on his face.

Evidently, the kids had dumped a truckload of sand INSIDE the house. And, while they had done a reasonable job of cleaning up the sand I saw the event sanded the finish off the floors, the sand that can't be vacuumed out of the carpet will age and wear it down at three times the normal speed, and there's sand in every little nook and cranny.

As I've noted in the past, the great American philosopher Albert Ashby Ward, says, "Sometimes crazy looks like fun from across the room."




No comments:

Post a Comment