Friday, January 17, 2014

A Dark Secret Revealed

I’m doing my best to start the New Year off right by being more honest with myself.

I’m challenging some long-held beliefs and asking myself, “Is this helping me or hurting me?”

So, in the interest of honesty I’m going to make a confession and just put it out there for the world to see:

I read….Luann

Ok…there…I’ve admitted it and it’s out in the open.

Luann is a comic strip in the News and Observer. It follows the trials and tribulations of a bunch of high school kids and in addition to being mildly entertaining it is a reminder of all the things we thought were earth-shaking (and some were) when we were young.

One of the storylines is about a young couple; he’s dopey, overly-cautious and average-looking while she’s gorgeous, impulsive and adventurous. (And yes, sometimes life imitates art) 

His natural style is to think through things before he does them and he finds all kinds of reasons for not stepping out. She’s trying to get him to—every once in awhile—reach out and grab life.

How often are we that guy? When an opportunity comes along our first reaction is…No.

If your first reaction upon reading the sentence above was, “Well Mike, you just can’t take your whole savings account and go to Tahiti!” Or, “As adults we can't be as impetuous as kids”…then, you need to keep reading.

What if your first reaction in life was…Yes?

I spent a lot of years…even into adulthood…as a Yes person. But, over the last few years I’ve been saying No more often. In some areas of life it’s become an automatic reaction and I don’t like that in myself, it’s one of the things I want to work on this year.

How about you? Are you a Yes person or a No person?

And I realize that, as adults, our first reaction is, “You can’t say Yes to everything.”

Gotcha.

However, what’s your average? More Yes’s or more No’s?

Say Yes this weekend to something new.

I’m saying Yes to the Tango tonight.


See you Monday…and say No to betting a ton of money on the pro football games this weekend. 

Go Seahawks…Go Denver.

1 comment: