Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Does It Work?

Like you, I love music. Yesterday I went to Radio Shack to get a splitter (a small add-on that lets two wires come into one input, or vice-versa) and some cable. I’m using them to link my computer to my music system.

I explained what I wanted to do to a young salesperson and he helped me find what I thought I needed. It did concern me a little that I had to keep explaining what a “splitter” is, but I figured, “Hey, he works here and I’ve always had good luck with Radio Shack so…..”

As you can guess, when I got home and tried to put the pieces together they didn’t fit.

So, bad on me for not looking more closely and bad on them for not doing a better job of training employees.

I’m headed back to Radio Shack this morning to trade in the parts that don’t work and, hopefully, get parts that do.

Whether you or your folks interact with customers have you thought through what people need to do their jobs? Sometimes the information is pretty simple; other times it can be complicated and expensive to effectively train people.


Either way, you have a better chance of having a successful interaction. This seems common sense, but too often common sense isn't common practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment