Friday, February 7, 2014

How High Are the Hampton Mountains?

Sometimes you simply don’t know.

You think you do, but you don’t.

This morning, while reading an article in the paper I discovered that The Hamptons, the popular New York summer vacation destination, is a beach resort.Think Myrtle Beach, but with quaint villages and LOTS more money.

From the first time I heard the phrase The Hamptons I thought they were in the mountains.

While I feel a little silly I realize that me not knowing where The Hamptons are does not make a pinhead of difference in my life. If I was driving there this weekend it would matter, but I would have discovered my mistake by looking at a map.

This reminds me of a woman from New York who called me about 30 years ago after she read my book, The North Carolina Jobhunter’s Handbook, now out of print. She thought North Carolina would be a great place to live and Hillsborough looked really attractive to her. She wanted to know, “how long does it take to get from Hillsborough to Raleigh by subway?”

See, she simply didn’t know that in our state there are no subways.

What you know and don’t know only matters…if it matters.

We start slipping and sliding when we make incorrect assumptions about things that matter. But, if you’re wrong simply bonk yourself on the forehead and then ask a question.

If it’s a big deal, bonk harder.


Have a great weekend. See you Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment