Monday, February 24, 2014

How Ya Doin'?

Most people have their standard response to the question, “How ya doin’?”

The standard reply is, “Fine,” which can be stretched to the old country saying “Fine as frog hair.” I’ve always liked, “If I was any better I’d be twins.” 

Those are the positive ones. I’m not going to get into the negative responses because they are…well…negative.

For the longest time my basic reply when someone asked, “How ya doin’?” has been, “Trying to be a grown-up.” It’s kinda funny, quick, easy, most people get it and in a metaphysical way it’s true of all of us.

The problem is that it was too true in too many ways and in too many situations.

In John Maxwell’s newest book, Sometimes You Win, Sometimes You Learn the last chapter is Maturity: The Value of Learning. If you’re smart you learn lessons and the learning leads to maturity…growing-up.

It seems that life is now offering lessons at every point of the compass. In every direction I turn there’s a major challenge to be faced and a lesson to be learned.

We live in a society in which many of us fight growing up in some area of our lives…all our lives. Sometimes the fight has few consequences other than a stumble or annoyance every now and then, but other times the fight becomes a war that keeps us from living lives of value.

Don’t get me wrong, I hate growing up as much as you do. But, sometimes life says, “The grown-up bus is leaving…and it may not be coming back. Are you on it or not?”


Can you look around and see a challenge and recognize that it might be time to grow up and step up?

One of my first decisions has been to change my response to, "How ya doin'?"

No comments:

Post a Comment