Friday, August 8, 2014

Talk to Yourself



It’s a fact that your mind can’t tell the difference between an imagined experience and a real, past experience. Our minds tell our bodies to react in much the same way in either case.

That’s why, when we imagine an encounter that might be stressful, our minds tell our bodies to get ready for the real thing.

Now, stop for a minute and think about the effect the mind/body connection has on you. It means it’s incredibly easy to get cranked up about SOMETHING THAT HASN’T HAPPENED AND PROBABLY NEVER WILL!!

You can imagine yourself into a lather over…nothing.

I've mentioned this before: Here’s how I’m trying to short-circuit the connection. When my mind starts taking off on a negative digression I literally think the word, “Delete.” I’ll start saying “Delete, Delete, Delete” in my mind…and sometimes out loud.

I only say it out loud if I’m by myself, in the car, for instance…note to the wise….if you do it out loud in a crowd and folks see/hear you they call security…I’m just saying.

The Delete strategy interrupts the negative thought and moves your mind away from the negative track. You could say “Pink Elephant” and it would have the same effect. In fact, I kind of like the Pink Elephant idea because it injects a touch of humor.

Unfortunately, research shows that over half our thoughts are of a negative nature. So, it seems that any strategy that gets our minds on a positive track is a good thing.

Try it this weekend. If you find yourself heading down a negative road use the simple technique to stop and turn yourself around. Moving down a positive road has got to be better for your mind, your body and your life.

Have a great weekend! See you Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment