Monday, September 1, 2014

Afraid of Going, Afraid of Falling



Happy Labor Day!

I guess today is the day for quotes. It seemed like I had the thoughts below flying at me from every whichaway.

My devotion this morning had one of those lines that jump off the page at you: “You learn not to fall by falling.” (Reverend Patrick Cameron)

I immediately thought of Robert Deniro’s comment, “If you don’t go you don’t know.”

If you think about the two thoughts, together, it’s easy to understand that going means you’re taking a chance of falling. But, if you fall you have the opportunity to learn how to not fall the next time.

Which leads Nelson Mandela’s belief that, “The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”

Finally, when I checked emails my daily message from management/marketing guru Seth Godin talked about forgiveness. We should forgive ourselves for not always being the thinnest, most successful or richest.

But, we should especially forgive ourselves for being afraid; and I read that as being afraid to try. However, Godin ways we should not forgive ourselves for not caring or trying.

Lots of clichés, but, as the great American philosopher, Jimmy Buffett says, “Clichés, say what they mean and mean what they say.”

No comments:

Post a Comment