Friday, October 10, 2014

A Win or a Waste



On Monday, we had lunch at the Strawberry Street Café in Richmond, Va. It's a wonderful little place with a salad bar in a big, claw-foot tub. One of the last times I dined there was in 1978 while living in Richmond; sat in the same booth on Monday that I sat in so many years ago.

While having lunch I thought about all the events of the last 36 years. As my brother pointed out, “that’s a couple of lifetimes ago.”

That got me to thinking about Muhammad Ali's comment, “A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”

What have I learned in the last 36 years? I certainly make some of the same mistakes…not all the same mistakes, mind you…but my toes are often sore from tripping over some of the same old things.

I would have to also say that some of the demons that haunted me in 1978 sure seem small today. I can certainly say that some of the decisions I’d make then I wouldn’t…and don’t…make now.

So, some learning has to have taken place; and yes, I certainly have the burned fingers and sore toes to show for it.

Would I do some things differently if I could go back? While I’ve never been one of those, “I have no regrets,” kind of folks I have to believe that if I changed something I probably wouldn’t be who I am and where I am and with the people I’m with today.

Tough choice.

Try this simple exercise over the weekend. Ask yourself: What’s one lesson you’ve learned? One path you regularly trod in the past that you don’t take now? What’s one area in which it seems you've learned the lesson?

And…

What’s one area of life in which you just…haven’t…gotten…it? A good way to spot the thin ice is to ask yourself, “What one decision in life, if I chose the opposite of what I often do, would have a definite, positive impact on my life?” 

It could be something affecting your life physically, financially, emotionally, spiritually, career, socially, family or mentally (what you’d like to learn).

The area doesn’t have to be monumental. It could be a simple, small choice that would have a definite, positive impact.

Play the game. On Monday you’ll be glad you did.

And remember, fall’s here! Have a great weekend!

PS....the North Carolina State Fair opens this weekend. I can see an Emu burger in my future!

No comments:

Post a Comment