Monday, November 10, 2014

What Language Do You Speak?

This morning I've had two very different conversations about situations in which businesses have messed up their service to me. The people I talked with were speaking different languages.

In the first case, with LifeTime Fitness on Capitol Blvd. in Raleigh, their representative apologized for the mess-up, asked pertinent questions, apologized again, fixed the problem and asked if they could do anything else to help...then apologized again. Her name was Evelyn and she was GREAT!!

The next call didn't go the same way. I'm not going to describe the who and what because you've had calls that quickly went south so I'd just be wasting your time describing an experience you've had.

Here's the key, though. The second person's comments to me were filled with jargon; words and phrases that, while wonderfully clear to her and her colleagues, sounded to me like she was speaking Farsi.

When I explained that I had no idea what she was saying she said, "Well, we'll have to get back to you..." ...which was the same thing they told me 10 days ago when I called.

And that...was that.

No matter what business you're in you have your own language. Not everyone understands the language. Even some of the folks in your industry don't understand it...especially rookies.

When clients/customers/patients/citizens indicate they don't understand it doesn't mean they are dopes...no matter how simple it sounds to you.

If you're going to make an assumption when dealing with folks (and we all know what happens when you ass-u-me something) it's probably better to assume they don't know your language. Speak simply.

No comments:

Post a Comment