Friday, February 27, 2015

A Truthful Take On Work...For Some

This morning I checked the funny calendar I bought Elaine for Christmas for its daily wisdom.

It said: "Work is like one really long personal phone call punctuated by people wanting stupid stuff."

Now, ya gotta admit that's funny.

At the same time, you have to admit that for tons of folks in the workplace the sentiment is painfully true.

Look, I get the fact that a lot of folks are working jobs that don't fit them, that they hate, that they'd drop like first period French if they could. I also get that folks have to eat, feed their families, pay bills and try to create a life.

But, if I'm going to spot you the reality above you have to go along with me that a lot of the folks who live the funny comment are slowing down the rest of us who are actually trying to get something done.

Recently, I was talking to a friend who's a manager and he was telling me about an employee with 40+ years of service who can't understand why her evaluations keep coming back as less-than-stellar. It's been explained to her on multiple occasions that she is not diligent in attention to detail, spends a lot of time making personal phone calls (there you go!) and simply doesn't act in a professional manner. She's one of those grinders who is just competent enough to keep around but won't get any of the good strokes that go to people who show initiative, work hard and really make a contribution.

If you think the calendar line is funny, I'm with ya. If you're living it, I'm not. And, you deserve whatever you get when your manager texts you with, "How about stopping by my office at the end of the day." You're slowing the rest of us down.

Have a great weekend! See you Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment