Thursday, April 30, 2015

Hamster On a Wheel

We’ve all seen a hamster running on a wheel. 

In our minds, that’s called ruminating.

When you take a negative thought for a run you end up going ‘round and ‘round with it until all you see is the problem.

In fact, neuroscientists say that when we ruminate on a negative thought our minds spiral down until all we see is the problem.

Psychologists tell us that ruminating is one of the basic habits that leads to depression.

So, stop ruminating! Find a simple ritual so that when you feel yourself heading down that negative road you can stop yourself and turn around. 


Lately, when I catch myself sliding down that negative slope, I use the technique I mentioned awhile back. I’ll say to myself, “Look what the cat dragged in!” The phrase makes me smile, laugh out loud and jump off the hamster wheel.  I turn around and head back in a positive direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment