Friday, May 15, 2015

Flipping Life The Bird

I have GOT to get smarter!!!

The other day a friend got really angry with me about my technological ignorance. He's a great guy and I'm in awe of his techno-skills.  But, as you can imagine, he spends a ton of time sitting in front of a computer and can't understand why others don't do the same.

In my life a computer should be like refrigerators. Refrigerators keep things cold. When you open the door of a refrigerator the stuff inside is cold. You take your stuff out, use it, and then put the leftovers back...and they get and remain cold. Refrigerators essentially have one thing to do and they do it. That's it.

I want computers to do what I want them to do...and do it simply. I want them to manage my information with a minimum of hassle. And I don't want to have to spend hours looking for the answer to a relatively simple question only to find and answer, try it, and it doesn't work.

I know I sound like a Luddite (the Industrial Revolution English group who would tear up weaving machines because they wanted to go back to using looms). But no, I'm not for going back to phones connected to the walls, no computers and having to start our cars (if we have them) by using a crank in the front. I'm for me being smarter without having to spend hours/days/weeks learning something that will be obsolete by the time I learn it.

Ok...rant over.

Here's your assignment for the weekend. Go online and find the Holstee Manifesto holstee.com. It's the guiding light for thousands of folks and was instrumental in the motivation for startups from Google to Zappos.

If you can read the Holstee Manifesto and not want to step out your door and flip the world "The Bird" you're waaaaay more mature than I. But then, that wouldn't be a stretch, now would it?

I have the Holstee Manifesto hanging on my wall.

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment