Tuesday, May 12, 2015

I Read THAT?!!

Last week I pulled Paul Johnson’s  A History of the American People off the shelf thinking, “One day I need to read this.” When I opened the book and saw all the notes I realized I had read it…all 1088 pages. A few years ago I read 20 pages a night, almost every night, over a couple of months.

Does it matter that I didn’t remember reading the book? No. The stuff I learned is in my mind and can be recalled when I need it. At my age it might take a few prompts for the facts and ideas to pop up, but pop up they will.

Sitting at my desk just now I looked up, saw a book and thought, “I didn’t know I had that!” I have lots of unread books on my shelves, Kindle, iPad and computer. As much as I like to read it’s like walking into a giant buffet and being overwhelmed.

What are you reading? How are you learning? What are you planning? Where are you going and how will you learn what you need to learn to get there?

You don’t have to spend hours and hours with your nose in a book or your butt in a class to learn things that help you have a more successful, happy life. A little bit here and there can make a world of difference.

It’s said that if you’re willing to read an hour a day in three years you can be in the top 1% of your profession. Whether that’s true or not is irrelevant. The truth is that expanding your mind is the key to having the life you want.


And you do want to have a life…don’t you?

No comments:

Post a Comment