Tuesday, August 25, 2015

How Old Do You Think?

The new Cigar Afianado magazine has an interview with Academy Award-winning actor, Robert Deniro. I know he’s a wonderful actor, I love his work, but if you’ve ever seen an interview with him you know he’s a terrible interview. Looks uncomfortable, gives monosyllabic answers, always seems like he’d rather be anywhere but where he is. I keep thinking that for most interviews, they could simply use an empty chair, or print the question, then print a blank space where the answer would be.

Having ranted about that, though, he offered a profound, one-sentence answer to a simple question.

Deniro is 72 and was asked: How old do you feel?

He said, “I feel as old as I think.”

No pun intended…or, pun intended, if you like…think about that.

“I feel as old as I think.”

How old do you think? I think pretty young…I think. And, thinking young can happen if you are open to new ideas, always exploring, have some regular contact with younger people. 

You don’t have to memorize all the random young actors/actresses, musicians, YouTube stars and athletes in the news. But, when a name pops up your response should probably not be, “Don’t know who they are and don’t care.” That sort of response gets you isolated.

My friend, Elaine, has a great strategy for one area of life…music. As she travels she spins through a wide range of stations and listens to a little bit of a lot of different kinds of music. I’m always amazed when a song comes on that I’ve never heard and she’s singing the words.


How old do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment