Tuesday, August 4, 2015

No Paper, No More

This Sunday, I won’t have a News and Observer newspaper delivered. To my knowledge, this will be one of the first days in my adult life I haven’t had an actual newspaper delivered to where I live; I’ll maintain my online subscription.

Some of you made the decision a long time ago and you think I’m a Luddite for waiting so long. I guess the problem and progress is that it’s become a hassle; getting rid of the papers and the dreaded experience of dealing with customer service for the News and Observer have contributed to me canceling my daily delivery.

However, I’m worried about the experience for a specific reason. I’m finding that by reading online I miss a lot of the little stories because headlines are so small I miss them when I skim the “paper” on my iPad. In the past, I noticed the small stories often noted issues/ideas I found valuable. I get the fact that with any gain/change you lose something, but I am concerned about the value of the small stories. But, I don’t have enough time to tap-on every little story to see what it’s about. Does that mean I’ll be less informed…which is a scary thought considering how ill-informed we as a public are nowadays? 


I guess I’ll find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment