Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Come Over Here, Little Girl


While some of my friends are breathless about the new Star Wars movie, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, and Quentin Tarantino’s  The Hateful Eight, I can tell you I’m underwhelmed.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens was pleasantly entertaining, but it’s a mish-mash of the first three. The Hateful Eight was so boring I left after the first hour of the 3+ hour, Tarantino ego trip. And, I LOVE Kurt Russell, Samuel L. Jackson, and Walter Goggins, but they couldn’t talk me into suffering through a minute more. 

ALERT**** You are getting ready to read something I never thought I’d say/write/draw/video/or dance interpretively….here it is: If you miss Inside Out, the animated look inside the head of an 11-year old girl, Riley…you’re nuts.

Riley moves from Minnesota to San Francisco and her emotions, Joy (voiced by comedian Amy Poehler), Sadness, Fear, Disgust, and Anger (voiced by comedian and Carolina alum Lewis Black), go into hyper-drive, as you can imagine.

This is an incredibly smart movie. In fact, the only other movie this season that even comes close in the smart department is The Martian; Matt Damon’s flik about an astronaut stranded on Mars and thinking his way through to survival.

Inside Out takes a wonderfully colorful look at thought, emotions, memories (long-term and short-term), character, logic, and all the processing that goes on inside our heads and makes us who we are.

At one point I panicked when I realized how clear the analogies were and how right-on the connections were in terms of how I think, and it hit me, “Damn, are you serious?!! I think like an 11-year old girl?!!” Then I realized we ALL use the same processes to think about and deal with life.

I’ll say it again: If you don’t see this movie and get past the fact that, on the surface, it’s a kids’ movie, you’re really missing something. It’s impossible to watch it and not have many of the situations kick up memories of your own. 


And, if the self-sacrifice of Bing Bong, the elephant/cat/porpoise that is Riley’s imaginary friend doesn’t bring a tear to your eye, you’re pretty heartless…and that’s the second sentence in this blog I never imagined I’d ever write…or dance interpretively.

No comments:

Post a Comment