Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Might As Well Not Buy a Lottery Ticket...I've Won Already!!!!

Have you bought your lottery ticket? The jackpot is somewhere around 150 gazamakitillion dollars now.

Let me save you the money…the winning lottery ticket is sitting on my counter even as I write this. Well, if that’s not the winner then the REAL winner is sitting right beside it.

The other night I asked a person in one of my seminars if they had bought a lottery ticket and they looked at me like I had puffs of glitter coming out the top of my head.

He said, “That stuff is for suckers! You know what the mathematical odds are of winning don’t you?”

“No,” I answered, “What?”

He kind of fumbled around with some math that sounded like it was from the planet Thorlon and mumbled, “Well, I know it’s a LOT!”

I buy a ticket about once every couple of weeks. When the amount jumps into the hundreds of millions I buy one a week.

Why?

A variety of reasons: For one thing, it fits one of my basic philosophies of life (no, not that one, the one that’s legal), it’s that we all have the same tiny chance of winning. Someone is going to win sooner or later and it might as well be me. If you aren’t willing to even try, then don’t complain if you don’t win.

Another reason I like the lottery is it’s cheap fun. Where in our society can you—for $3—set in motion the dreams that the possibility of winning the lottery conjures up? I love dreaming those dreams. I also love asking folks, “What would you do if you won the lottery?” Whatever they tell you is usually a wild combination of BS, selfishness, true nature, and childlike wonder.

In fact, I’d love to have a truth X-Ray machine that would show you what people are really thinking when you ask them questions. They’d be saying, “I’d fund the feeding and clothing of poor people around the world,” while the video on the machine would show helicopters dropping big bags of poop on all their neighbors.

The final reason I think buying a lottery ticket is a good thing is that, when you see the winning numbers and they have about as much in common with your numbers as a cat does with the Eiffel Tower, you come back to reality. 

After you’ve kicked the chair and hurt your toe, if you’re even halfway smart, you should think, “How much of my dream could I make come true if I got off my butt and really worked at it?” 

Sometimes that ticket on the counter is a reality check…and we all need that once in awhile.


But, that helicopter idea is rrrrrreally appealing.

No comments:

Post a Comment