Thursday, June 30, 2016

Never Knew a Pig That Could Sing...

Have you ever had a number of experiences that all seem to spin around the same issue? When you recognize the connection you have that “Aha!” moment?

One of my friends says that’s God/Spirit talking to you and showing you something you need to learn.

Recently, a woman told me she was “54-years old and I’m not going to change.” At about the same time I saw a quote that said, “A person who is satisfied with where they are is difficult to change.” During the time I had the previous two experiences I was in the middle of reading research showing that the mindsets of most people can be divided into Fixed and Growth. (search online “Fixed versus Growth Mindsets)

Fixed mindset people believe, “I’m either good at it, or I’m not. When I’m frustrated, I give up. I don’t like to be challenged. When I fail, I’m no good. Tell me I’m smart. If you succeed, I feel threatened.

Growth mindset people believe, “I can learn anything I want to. When I’m frustrated, I persevere. I want to challenge myself. When I fail, I learn. Tell me I try hard. When you succeed, I’m inspired.”

Which mindset fits you? It’s easy to congratulate ourselves for having growth mindsets, but a better measure is to ask people around you for a verdict. Tell’em, “You won’t hurt my feelings. I need to know the truth,” and then stand back. You may be…mmm…unpleasantly surprised.

Trying to get a Fixed mindset person to understand the importance of change can be maddening. It’s like you’re speaking a different language.


In fact, I recently saw a quote that perfectly describes the effort. It’s attributed to both science fiction writer, Robert Heinlein, and  Mark Twain: “Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.”

What lessons is life trying to teach you? What are the signs you're seeing/hearing/experiencing? You can believe that life will continue to show you the lesson until you finally learn it. And that takes a Growth mindset.

No comments:

Post a Comment