Monday, July 11, 2016

Stop Worryin'! Right.....

My devotion this morning opened with a great quote from George Washington: Worry is interest paid by those who borrow trouble.

I’ve spent a ton of time the last few months worrying about an issue. Has it done me any good? Not…a…damn…bit.

Here’s the deal: Whatever it is you’re worried about, the only two issues to consider are can you do something about it, or can’t you?

If you can do something about it, then do whatever you can do. Even if it’s only a little effort that gets you a tiny bit farther down the road it’s something. And, I can tell you that one something leads to another and another, and the next thing you know you’ve got a handle on that thing you were worried about. You feel more in control and the worrying tends to stop or, at least, lessen.

If you can’t do anything about it worrying won’t help. Hmmm…you didn’t seem to be paying attention to that last line because you were thinking, “Everyone knows that.” Right.

So, here it is again, “If you can’t do anything about it worrying won’t help.” 

Does worrying make you feel better? No. Does it make you feel like you’re doing something? Sometimes. I discovered that all my worrying at least kept the issue in my mind. I realized that I wanted to think about the issue so much that, even if it was hurtful/worrisome/depressing, worrying was better than just getting it out of my mind and forgetting it.

I’m over that now. The situation is what it is (I hate that phrase…it’s almost as idiotic as “Six of one, half-dozen of the other") and I’m rollin’.


Whatever you're worried about, either do something or understand that there’s nothing you can do and move on. In the next blog I’ll offer a really practical way to move on. 

Here’s a hint, redirect yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment