Tuesday, September 13, 2016

The Wisdom of 2-Ply

To be honest, I’ve fought writing this blog for a couple of weeks. It’s one of those topics where a lot of folks will see the title and automatically go, “ick!”

But, you're still here reading aren’t you?

Here’s the deal. A couple of weeks ago I got home really late, was draggin’ tired, and I’m…sitting…and…mmm…thinking about the fact that 2-ply is one of life’s wonderfully simple pleasures. And, I must say, I congratulated myself on appreciating this small, seemingly insignificant gift from the paper companies.

Even though Queen Elizabeth I's godson invented one of the first flush toilets in 1596, commercially produced toilet paper didn't begin circulating until 1857. Quilted Northern, formerly Northern Tissue, advertised as late as 1935 that their toilet paper was “Splinter-Free!”

Which brings to mind the fact that the 1-ply in my elementary school definitely was not Quilted Northern!

But, I digress…not long ago I had the opportunity to again encounter 1-ply; I think it was at a highway rest area. And, I’m thinking that, yeah, if you’re buying a gazillion rolls of tissue for the whole state, then 1-ply is a good use of taxpayer dollars. 

Later that week, though, I ran across 1-ply in a friend’s home. Now, this is someone for whom the choice of 1-ply or 2-ply, if it’s based on financial factors, is not going to have trouble buying 2-ply.

And I’m thinking…why?

Why not treat yourself to 2-ply if the difference in cost is so small? Now, my more logical, mature, financially astute friends will offer, “Well, if you add up the difference over the course of a year…” I get it. If I add up the difference in 1-ply and 2-ply over the course of a year it’s probably enough to buy another 8 rolls of 2-ply. So what? 

Buying 2-ply vs 1-ply is a wonderful example of doing small, inexpensive things to treat yourself. To remind you that YOU are a good person, you deserve good things, and you deserve to be happy!

I don’t know what it is about paper products, unless it’s the fact that they are relatively inexpensive, but another friend said that one of the small things that makes her feel prosperous is having Kleenex in every room.

What small purchases, gestures, items, and/or activities help you feel positive and prosperous? They don’t have to be expensive in terms of money, time or space, but they connect with you and make you feel good.


So, I’m going to continue to buy 2-ply; AND LIVE IT UP!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment